PROJECT ASSIGNMENT DESCRIPTION • Prepare written paper (Arial – 11 pt. font – 1.
PROJECT ASSIGNMENT DESCRIPTION
• Prepare written paper (Arial – 11 pt. font – 1.5 line spacing at least 10 pages but no longer
than 20 pages) explaining the issue with at least ten current (within the last five years) references included in the report bibliography which should appear at the end of the report.
• Run a SPELL CHECK before submitting your paper. Misspellings will not be tolerated and your grade on this project will be one full letter grade lower if you fail to do this simple task. Please take pride in the grammatical quality of your paper.
• Your bibliographical reference list at the end of your paper should be in alphabetical order by last name and look like this:
Grazer, Brian, and Charles Fishman. 2015. A Curious Mind: The Secret to a Bigger Life. New York: Simon & Schuster.
Smith, Zadie. 2016. Swing Time. New York: Penguin Press.
If you use a quote from a source in the text of your paper, you would end the sentence containing the quote with an insertion referring to a reference in your end of paper bibliography that should look like this: (Grazer and Fishman 2015, p. 12) or (Smith 2016, pp. 315–16). If you wish to include a note saying more about the quotation or any reference used, you would drop a footnote on that page.
• NEVER solely cite an internet URL or provide an internet link without a bibliographic reference. Your reference in the end bibliography should look like this:
Griffin, P. and H.J. Carroll. (2011) NCAA Inclusion of Transgender Student-Athletes. National Collegiate Athletic Association: Indianapolis, IN. Retrieve at: http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4335-ncaa-inclusion-of-transgender-student- athletes.aspx
and if you used a quote in the text of your paper, your citation at the end of the sentence
containing the quote should be (Griffin and Carroll, 2011)
• Always put your name, the course number, the course title and the date your paper was
submitted at the top of your paper.
• When titling your electronic document which is to be sent to the instructor as an email
attachment, the title should be your last name following by the description of the assignment. Example: “SMITH-Gender Equity Paper – SMT457 Example: “SMITH – Semester Project – SMT457”
• The written report should be organized as follows:
I. Situation (copy the situation exactly as it was assigned as the lead paragraph)
II. Review of the Literature. List each of the references you read (10 minimum) and
summarize the main points of each respective article, current news story, or
research study as it relates your topic or case study.
III. Be sure to answer the challenge of the assignment (solve the problem, develop the
policy, list the pros and cons, present the solution, etc.)
IV. Recommended Policy – ALWAYS include your recommendation for a sport
organization policy that addresses the issue with regard to preventing the occurrence or reoccurrence of this problem. Be sure your policy document is formatted as a policy (see samples in the Cloud that are provided in addition to your print textbook). Note that your textbook purchase allows you to download pre-formatted policies. See if these policies contain a sample related to your topic. Feel free to use the sample BUT BE SURE TO CUSTOMIZE for your problem or challenge and to cite the Lopiano/Zotos textbook in your bibliography.
Putting Competition in Perspective
Situation: You are the Athletics Director of a high school athletics program preparing for your annual coaches meeting at the start of the school year. All head and assistant coaches of all sports will be in attendance. You have recently read of the following research findings: “Researchers at California State University at Chico and the University of Texas at Dallas looked at two types of competition among high school seniors: competing to win and competing to excel. … competing to excel — to surpass personal goals or develop skills — was associated with higher self-esteem, more feelings of achievement and less depression in both girls and boys.” (Park, 2010) You decide to prepare a power point presentation that clearly explains to your coaches the team goals and kinds of remarks characteristic of coaches who emphasize winning versus the team goals and kinds of remarks characteristic of coaches who emphasize skill development.
• Develop this power point presentation
• On the last slide, answer this FAQ: “Does this mean that it would be inappropriate to set
“qualifying for the conference championship” as a goal for the season for my team or an
• Develop a “self-assessment” instrument for coaches to use to determine whether their
practices are based on “competing to win” or “competing to excel”
• Write a policy that advances this coaching concept