To do this assignment: 1. Go to the website. www.census.gov (Links to an externa
To do this assignment:
1. Go to the website. www.census.gov (Links to an external site.)
(Links to an external site.)
Go to “QuickFacts.” To obtain statistics for the USA, click on “Quickfacts” without selecting a state. To obtain statistics for Texas, select Texas from the drop-down menu. (You may also be able to obtain the information from other parts of the U.S. Census website.)
2. Look up the necessary information for the five (5) items listed below for both the USA and Texas:
1. The total 2010 population.
2. The most recent total population estimate and the year of the estimate.
3. The percentage of white (non-Hispanic) persons and the year of the estimate.
4. The percentage of Hispanic/Latino persons and the year of the estimate.
5. The percentage of Black Persons (African Americans) and the year of the estimate.
1. Write one (1) paragraph that summarizes the five (5) pieces of information for the United States of America.
2. Then, write one (1) paragraph that summarizes the five (5) pieces of information for the state of Texas.
3. Write a third paragraph about how you think the ethnic/racial diversity in Texas affects its public policy and politics. For example, how will elections be affected? Or who will be elected to the state legislature? Or what public policies (for example, K-12 education or health care) will be affected?
4. Finally, given the large and growing Hispanic population in Texas and other states, write a fourth paragraph about whether you (and your children) have the personal responsibility to learn at least conversational Spanish. You must first look up two (or more) websites, at least one in favor of bilingualism and at least one for learning English only. Then you must present your own position. What is your ethical argument for your position?